Social Security Number Verification
Verify Social Security Numbers Over the Internet
There are two Internet verification options you can
use to verify that your employee names and Social Security numbers match
Social Security’s records. You can:
- Verify up to 10 names and SSNs (per screen) online
and receive immediate results. This option is ideal to verify new hires.
- Upload batch files of up to 250,000 names and SSNs
and usually receive results the next government business day. This
option is ideal if you want to verify an entire payroll data base or if
you hire a large number of workers at a time.
While the service is available
to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify
current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.
Why Should I Verify Names and SSNs
- Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the
keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
- It’s faster & easier to use than submitting your
requests on magnetic media or paper listings or even using Social
Security’s telephone verification option.
- Results in more accurate wage reports.
- Saves you processing costs and reduces the number of
- Allows Social Security to properly credit your
employees’ earnings record, which will be important information in
determining their Social Security benefits in the future.
Step by Step
- Register to Use SSNVS - www.socialsecurity.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm
Registration is required. Third-party preparers need only register once
in their own firm’s name. Complete the registration form and select your
own password. Social Security will verify your identity against our
records and display a PIN. Make note of the PIN. More
- Request Access and Activation Code From the BSO Home
Page, Login and select Request Access to BSO Services. Choose Social
Security Number Verification Service. You’ll get a confirmation that
Social Security received your request. The activation code that allows
access to SSNVS will be sent to your employer in about two weeks.
- Your employer should give you the activation code
which allows you access to SSNVS.
- Go to www.socialsecurity.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm,
select Login, input your PIN, Password and your activation code and you
will be able to use the service.