1. Get help. Get to a safe area.
2. Call 911 for police assistance.
3. Get relieved of your assignment.
4. Get medical attention.
5. Report the assault to your supervisor and union representative.
6. Get counseling or assistance for critical incident stress debriefing (CISD) to address concerns related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
7. Exercise your civil rights: File charges with the police.
8. Get copies of all reports and keep a diary of events.
9. Take photographs of your injuries.
10. Return to work only when you feel safe and supported.